Taking A Psychological Trip Around The World Domination Summit

image WDS name badge

I recently attended the World Domination Summit in beautiful Portland, Oregon with 500 others.

Exhilaration is the feeling when spending time with unconventional people who put actions behind their intentions in the pursuit of living a remarkable life in a conventional world.

Several of the attendees were world travelers.

I may have been the only person who uses the word ‘reframe’ during every 50-minute hour of the workday.

And that was just fine by me.

More on the “intrepids” in a minute.

It was liberating to leave the smallness of the psychotherapy office to revel in the great possibilities that exist when thinking outside your head.

The metaphors of moving and covering unknown locales are essential in psychotherapy.

While sitting across the talk therapy couch, you and your client(s) work on mutually agreed upon goals. The main focus is changing unhealthy thoughts into more beneficial ones so client(s) mobilize their internal and external resources towards change and forward movement.

Kind of like traveling on a journey together…

Compared to the sheer immensity of the geographical world, our minds seem heartbreakingly finite and wee.

Brain facts: The height of an adult brain is 3.6 inches and the length is 6.3 inches. The width is 5.5 inches.

World facts: In a circle from pole to pole, the circumference is approximately 24,819 miles. At the equator, the circumference is 24,903 miles.

Size doesn’t matter if we think of the brain as a mini globe.

A little round entity we travel for spiritual enlightenment, fun, diversion, and sometimes for the purpose of healing.

Observing the WDS attendees and presenters got me wondering if despite their impressive multi-stamped passports, whether some of the intrepid travelers were gutsy enough to sit still with their psychological demons in a 150 sq. foot therapist’s office…

We all have issues, after all.

Courageous is the young, petite woman who gives up a successful law career in New York City and purchases a one-way ticket to Chile, solita.

It also takes hella courage to open up and explore the emotional abuse you suffered as a child.

Sometimes you have to understand what’s behind you before you’re able to move forward.

And you don’t necessarily need a passport to travel to unknown destinations in the name of spiritual growth to find the answers.

You can visit new places, familiar faces, and exciting attractions without passing through customs.

More on that in a bit.

The inhabitants of the WDS proved without exception that some people’s minds are a trip;).

Though Chris Guillebeau and his team assembled a colorful and varied group, I had my favorites:

• The lovely Karen Walrond of the photoblog Chookooloonks helps thousands of people every day see that their ordinary lives are, in fact, extraordinary. Check out the 1000 Faces project.
  • The passionate Jonathan Fields reminded us that all the wisdom, tools, and newfound knowledge gained at WDS didn’t mean anything unless we took immediate action.
  • The softspoken Leo Babauta of Zen Habits mesmerized with his calm presence and utter lack of flash, and encouraged us to spend five minutes a day changing a negative habit.

Getting from where you are to where you want to be:

And you can thank Leo for inspiring this bit of mindfulness, meditation, and visualization:).

Begin your mind’s journey by visiting one uncharted area that will ultimately help you feel better, more energized, and less stuck.

It could be a small issue such as exploring why your coworker bothers you, or a grand undertaking like deciding to leave a romantic relationship.

You know where you need to go.

~Breathe deeply.

~Close your eyes. (But open them at some point in order to complete the exercise;)).

~Envision yourself as calm and confident as you step off the boat, plane, or train and contemplate the terrain in front of you.

~What do you see?

~What do you hear?

~What emotions do you experience?

~Check in with your heart? Is it beating fast, or surprisingly rhythmic because it’s aware that you’re doing something different today.

~Remind yourself that the world is an inherently safe place, and that most people possess good will.

~You’re alone. And you’re fine.

~As with navigating any new city or country, you may get lost. And that’s okay. Rely on your inner compass to point you in the right direction.

~Everything you need for exploration is within you.

~Take a few minutes to sit still with your emotions.

~Now open your eyes and thank yourself for daring to go inside for a brief adventure.

~Take a deep breath.

You’re alone. You’re fine. And you’re safe.

You’re home.

***

What will you do today to get you closer to where you want to go?

Any tips, or relaxation exercises you care to share?

If you liked this post, please ‘like’ the Facebook box in the right sidebar. I would love to see your lovely face:).

Thanks for visiting,

~Linda

{Photo: Linda Esposito not via Flickr for once}

About Linda Esposito

Hi there! I'm an Anxiety Saboteur and the creator of TalkTherapyBiz.com. If you want to go from Anxiety to Zen, click this link to subscribe for anxiety advice + wellness updates!

14 Responses to "Taking A Psychological Trip Around The World Domination Summit"

1. Alison Golden - The Secret Life of a Warrior WomanNo Gravatar says:

You went to WDS! I am envious. How did you swing that? I have done both – given up the great career for the draw of new lands and sat in the therapy couch wondering just why I needed to be so dramatic ;-) Both require courage. I think though exploring new lands whether they are physical or emotional essentially amount to the same thing, feed off each other and loop around. Most people are transformed by traveling to new lands (if we ignore the around-a-major-continent-in-2-weeks crowd) – it requires a strength of character and resourcefulness not found in our day to day comfortable living states, and so are people who visit the psychotherapists couch – again as long as they truly enter into it with mindfulness and commitment.

My relaxation tip is to get of the computer – which I’m toying with doing for a couple of days.

• Linda EspositoNo Gravatar says:

What an eloquent response, Alison. I swear, my commentators should write my posts…y’all are so insightful!

I was truly impressed by many of the WDS travelers because they traveled and travel to far off lands that most of us would not consider when “going on vacation.” I don’t think I heard Hawaii mentioned at all (not that there’s anything wrong with Hawaii–love it!).

Thanks for acknowledging that therapy and world travel require transformation and courage.

Yes, yes, yes–get off the computer. I actually was without for the 4 days in Portland and it was amazing, if not a bit foreign:).

2. (Mr. Cynical) DaveNo Gravatar says:

Not to rain on your parade because you probably got enough of that in Portland! but I’d rather go to a tropical beach to relax than backpack my way through Chile.

And no, I’m not being cynical for the sake of convention. If you have to travel across the world to find yourself, I would sooner make an appointment with your couch. Oh yeah, I can’t do that either =)).

3. Linda EspositoNo Gravatar says:

Dave–

LMAO!. I’ll have you know the weather in PDX was exquisite.

OK, I don’t remember writing that one needs to trek their way across a few continents to find enlightenment and psychological insight, but it is a way of getting out of your head and the comforts of your distracted surroundings…;).

4. Melissa DinwiddieNo Gravatar says:

I love reading your perspective on WDS, Linda, and what a treat to hear from someone coming from such a different space than so many of the WDS attendees.

Although I do love to travel, I don’t have the kind of wanderlust that Chris G and Jodi Ettenberg do. I hugely admire both of them, but me, I’m more inclined to travel to inner worlds than live out of a suitcase for months at a time. :)

I’m sure glad I made it up to Portland, though! I’ll be processing the experience for weeks, months, probably even years.

• Linda EspositoNo Gravatar says:

Hi Melissa!

I appreciate your perspective on traveling, and yes, while I admire the intrepids, I don’t have a desire to travel to far-flung lands. I guess I’m more of a conventional traveler, and living out of a suitcase does not suit me, either:).

I’m so glad I made it out to Portland–it was such an amazing experience, and never having been, I fell in love with that wonderful, cool city and its people.

Thanks for sharing your WDS experience and perspective:).

5. Cherry WoodburnNo Gravatar says:

Wonderful and interesting perspective Linda. Enjoyed reading it. As you mentioned, also impressed with the commenters comments.

6. LindaNo Gravatar says:

Thanks Cherry! I saw that you mentioned @TalkTherapyBiz on your Twitter follow of Karen @Chookooloonks–isn’t she amazing?!

7. Ann Becker-SchutteNo Gravatar says:

Linda,

I just found your blog today–how fun to have a psychological perspective on WDS. I’ve been reading Chris’s summaries. Thanks for broadening my horizons about possible future conference experiences–and for writing such an affirming description of our field!

Warmly,
    Ann

• Linda EspositoNo Gravatar says:

Hi Ann–

So glad you dropped by. Chris put together an amazing summit, and my eyes and horizons have been opened.

Happy to meet another mental health professional, and looking forward to checking out your blog:0.

8. A Simple Childhood | TalkTherapyBiz says:

[...] work as a psychotherapist motivates me to view my daily habits and tendencies and their effects on my child-rearing. You can [...]

9. Delena SilverfoxNo Gravatar says:

OMG! You were here?! I thought there was something that felt extra special in the air recently, and now I know why. You were here in PDX!! =) I love this city. Moved here eleven years ago and now I lie and tell people I’m from here, lol. I really hope you enjoyed your stay. (Now, just don’t tell people how awesome it is here, ’cause then everyone’s gonna want to move here!)

“You can visit new places, familiar faces, and exciting attractions without passing through customs.” This made me think of the book/movie “Eat, Pray, Love.” I was one of the ambivalent, raspberry-blowing naysayers of the book. Not that I don’t totally appreciate the courage and curiosity to find one’s authentic self, but I honestly felt she was crying about nothing. Maybe that’s my inner bitter abuse-survivor who worked things out without even leaving the zip code, but hey.

I’ve found a much richer inner life than I think anything out in the wide world could ever provide, and it’s transforming. I go to some pretty far-out places when I close my eyes and clean out more of my inner junk drawer.

Delena

10. LindaNo Gravatar says:

Delena–

If I return to PDX for next year’s summit, I will definitely hit you up! How can you not spread the awesome for your city? So much to do and see, and the people were really cool, too…

I couldn’t stand Eat, Pray, Love…I found it so cliche, cheesy, and pandering to privileged white women of a certain age. I too, did not identify with the struggle of Julia Roberts’ character. A midlife crisis and the breakup of a romantic relationship does not equal a crisis. I’m thinking a cancer or other life-threatening illness warrants traveling the world for comfort, escape, and enlightenment.

Thanks for your always interesing comments, and I hope you’re getting some well-deserved rest these days:).

11. Delena SilverfoxNo Gravatar says:

Oh goodness, I just *squeed* at the thought of showing yet another delightful soul my city. You must definitely hit me up when you come! Portland is famous for its amazing little hole-in-the-wall awesomeness, and I love showing them off for people!

And yes, I’m getting a bit more sleep lately, thank you. =) Sometimes, if I’m not wired, I’ll lie down with Little Owl for her first nap of the day. It feels kind of like Dorothy after she woke up out of Oz. “You were there, and you were there, and you…”

I’m so glad you had such a good time here! =)

Delena